Friday, March 7, 2008

My intro to Winning Aspirations

It’s more than 2 months now since I became a part of Winning Aspirations (WA). Looking back at a superficial level it feels like I am doing a good job of empowering/supporting kids. But at a deeper level it has taken me to a next level in life. I am growing with it.

Like any other person in their mid 20’s, there I was doing ‘ok’ in life. I used to work; I used to party; In short not many complaints from life.

One Saturday morning I get a call from a friend of mine Durgesh at 8:30 am!! That’s like early in the morning for me Anyway, he kind of told me to get ready and come to BTM fast by 9am. He also told me this is regarding some voluntary work that he is involved with.

As I had nothing planned for the first half of the day, I said ok. On the way to the place MAKKALA JAAGRUTI (a care center for emotionally and economically deprived children). He told me where we were going. I also learnt that they were working on a project called “MILAAP”. Under this project they were bringing elderly people from old age home to MAKKALA JAAGRUTI, to build a rapport between them. ‘Hmm.. Good thought’ is what I felt. I was prepared to be a spectator. But I was one of the two; who know Kannada there. So everyone kind of expected me to be an active participant and help them in communication. So did my part to the best of my ability. The whole time I was kind of feeling a little lost. New place, new environment and kids who were doing their own thing. Some playing, some talking, some yelling and some fighting! Frankly I was not impressed with the whole situation. Never once did it cross my mind that I will actually become an active member of the group on that day.

So then what made me to continue with WA? After the event Durgesh asked me that would I be willing to attend the group meeting that followed. It was on the way to home so I said ok. Meeting was the one that made me to continue with WA. The way the meeting was conducted and the way everyone there was participating in it was just inspiring. I mean they were this bunch of guys, all in their 20’s and unmarried. The only place that I knew, were boys get together like this is for a drink or for a cricket match. Commitment of this sort, for any thing is such a rare thing to see!! I was very impressed by this. At that moment I knew these people really are here in this group for a reason. I felt they are up to something big in life. I was sure of one thing; I wouldn’t want to miss a chance to be part of such a group and do things for society/community.

Each one of us always has this part in us that wants to do some thing for the country. But it ends there itself. So here was a chance for me to go to the next level of actually doing it.

Let me officially introduce you to WINNING ASPIRATIONS. It’s a voluntary group of people who have the drive in them to do something for community they live in. We invest 3-4 hours of our week (on weekends of course) on an average. Vision of our group is – “JOINING HANDS, TOUCHING LIVES AND SPREADING SMILE”. In the process to fulfill our vision we are attached to two institutions right now. AASHA NILAYA AND MAKKALA JAAGRUTI. We go there to teach them. We teach a lot of stuffs like curriculum subjects, yoga, craft, computers, spoken English and dance (This is my task ). We don’t do any kind of money business. Yes, we as a group put a little money monthly in group account, which can be used for some stuff that will help us in our activities. That’s it. It’s very simple. Although our group is still small (in its early stages) we have already got process in place. We have a leader for the whole group and also leaders for each institution. Leadership gets transferred from one person to other after a while. We have a schedule for all the activities that will be taken care by the leaders. If someone is not able to make it for a week, he just needs to inform this to the leader and a replacement will be arranged.

Bottom line is, it is a very simple group, doing simple things to bring noticeable change in the lives of kids whom we work with. I invite all the readers to join our group. More the merrier! It comes with no obligations. It’s up to you to decide what level of commitment that you can give to the group. I am telling you from my personal experience you will be happy to have spent your 2-3 hours in this manner. It’s a different level of satisfaction. Something like one feels after having food when they are really hungry. I feel so good when I see those kids waiting for me for dance class. I see every time the class strength is growing. They just come and hug me as soon as I go there. Unbiased love is what they offer you. Are we not looking for this kind of unbiased love?

So here is the place. Join us. Strengthen our group and have an experience of life! Here are the details through which you can join us. You can visit www.winningaspirations.com.

No comments: