Monday, March 17, 2008

Little things we do

Little things we do –

Today I got a mail from one of my colleague asking for employees who have done little things that inspire people around – and I remembered what I did yesterday.

Since just a week old in WA, I accompanied other volunteers to a place called as Makkala Jagruthi – a home for destitute children – who come to learn, to be free from all the worries.

These are the children from the nearby slums – basically not orphans – but who cannot afford things - which we all could in our childhood.

The feeling of entering such places is totally different. That’s the feeling one should go through in their lives.

We have always had everything – starting from our childhood – yet we feel and (some even say it loud) that we haven’t been that lucky in our lives, not got what we have always wanted. I would say please go to one of the destitute homes for orphanages or institutions that help the needy. Then I bet you will have a different statement all-together.

Yesterday I had been to Makkala Jagriti and I was happy to see that still goodness in humans isn't EXTINCT. Few months back I had this clear in my mind that the kindness/goodness in humans has diminished and there are a very few people left who are willing to help others without any second thought, but I was proved wrong. The humanity still exists. :) And that could be seen in Makkala Jagriti.

A different kind of world exists in MJ - there are computers where computer classes are been held for these children, dance/yoga is being taught in full fledge, tuitions on various subjects are being given, toys – books, all provided and most importantly the love from the volunteers is always present in abundance.

My fellow-volunteers introduced me to the staff there and to some of the kids present and trust me, I felt so good – so content with life. My first experience with something like this.

Since exams have started, some of the kids who attend school are busy - so only tutions along with dance and yoga is being taught by some of the talented volunteers.

We have few activities that are lined up for all the kids for summer this year. And I am looking forward for the same. :)

“And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count – it’s the life in your years.” ~ Abraham Lincoln
So take an opportunity to do those little things that you have always wanted to since a long time and that you could cherish for the rest of you life.
Best Wishes...! :)

1 comment:

Urv said...

Here are a few lines from Lance Armstrong's biography:

One afternoon I was sitting around visiting with Lee at his house, and I asked him what he thought about Iraq.
Lee said, "I'll tell you two things. First of all, I'm not sure what I think, but I'm an American and I follow my president, I go wherever he goes. But the second thing is, that's a global issue and I can't affect it. I can't do a damn thing about Iraq, and Saddam Hussein doesn't know me from Adam. But here's what I CAN do. I can go down to the street corner and make THAT place a better place. I can do that. I can affect the bus stop. I can go affect that park bench right over there, and maybe change somebody's day, or minute, or life. I can do that."